Thursday, April 01, 2010

What makes a Christian education Christian?



I had this rather interesting question posed to me during one of my required discussion forums for my online seminary classes at Liberty University. Here was my response:

To sum up, the purpose of Christian education is basically to produce, both individually and collectively, better followers of the Lord Jesus Christ. I agree with one of the previous posters that "what makes education Christian" really does, indeed, lie in ensuring that Christ is the key ingredient.

Of course, one can be "educated" in a variety of areas, and just to be does not necessarily make the education Christian. One example is that I can be educated constantly that we are all just the product of billions of years of random chemical reactions, but that education would be secular and, I believe, untrue. Thus, for education to be Christian, it must have the right content.

Christian education, for it to be Christian, must be, as mentioned in lengthier terms above, Christ-centered. It also must be Bible-based, and it should uphold the Judeo-Christian ideals and promote the sacrificial death of our Savior on the Cross and help believers to have a continued walk with Him and point those who are yet to believe to Him as well. It should also, in my humble opinion, uphold the virtues of Christian service as well. We would all do well to remember that the "Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." (Matthew 20:28) In that regard, a true Christian education will always strive to produce individuals who wish to imitate Christ, the supreme example for us all.

No comments: